WEIR, George (1825-1891)
Born on July 22nd 1825 in Aberlour, Scotland, George Weir was the son of Peter Weir and of Janet Anderson.
Weir studied at King’s College, Aberdeen, in Scotland, completing a Master of Arts degree in 1848. He received an Honourary Doctorate (LL.D.) in 1881 from the University of Aberdeen, in Scotland.
He began his career in 1848 as a schoolmaster at the Turriff parish school. Two years later, he became rector of Banff Academy. He moved to Kingston, Ontario to become a professor at Queen’s University between 1854 and 1864. He dismissed for involving students in a dispute with the principal of the institution. Weir sued the university for unjust dismissal and won the initial trial, but lost the appeal. Between 1864 and his death in 1891, he worked as professor of Greek, Latin, Hebrew, and Church History at Morrin College in Quebec City.
In both Quebec and Ontario, Weir was involved in the organization of educational sector. He was inspector of schools in Kingston. In Quebec, he was a member and secretary of the Protestant section of the Council of Public Education. He was also inspector of superior schools.
He died in Quebec on June 12th 1891. He is buried at Mount Hermon Cemetery in Quebec.
In 1865, he married Williamina Lowe in Glasgow, Scotland.
– Patrick Donovan, June 2015
- “Aberdeen – American Graduates.” Scottish Notes and Queries, Second Series, Vol. II, 1901, p.186
- BLAIR, Louisa, Patrick DONOVAN and Donald FYSON. From Iron Bars to Bookshelves. Quebec: Septentrion, 2015 (forthcoming).
- Census of Canada, 1871, 1891
- DONOVAN, Patrick. “The Adulterous Pastor and the Feisty Professor.” Society Pages 35, Summer 2012, p. 5-7.
- The Educational Record of the Province of Quebec, vol XI. Montreal: Canadian Subscription and Publishing co., 1891. p. 187.
- Hand-book of the Presbyterian Church in Canada, 1883. Ottawa: J. Durie and Son, 1883.
- NEATBY, Hilda. Queen’s University: Volume I, 1841-1917. Montreal, Kingston: McGill-Queen’s University Press, 1978.
- “Notable Men & Women of Banffshire.” Scottish Notes and Queries, First Series, Vol. VII, January 1894, p.115
- Registry of Saint Andrew’s Church, Quebec. Death: June 12th 1891, twenty third leaf. Drouin Collection.
- Registry of burials, Mount Hermon Cemetery, 1848-1904. http://pistard.banq.qc.ca/apex/f?p=118:11:7191242941999::NO::P11_CLE:1214
- “Scotland, Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950,” index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYDT-FRQ : accessed 2 March 2015), George Weir, July 22 1825; citing ABERLOUR,BANFF,SCOTLAND, reference ; FHL microfilm 990,813.
- “Scotland, Marriages, 1561-1910,” index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTTR-KPD : accessed 27 February 2015), George Weir and Wilhamina Lowe, July 15 1856; citing Blythswood, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland, reference; FHL microfilm 6,035,516.
- Testimonials of the Revd. George Weir, M.A., Professor of Classical Literature in Morrin College, Quebec. Quebec: Middleton & Dawson, 1868.