POWER, Rosemary Lorraine (1919-2004)
Born on June 14th 1919 in Quebec City, Rosemary Power (Rosemary Cannon Delaney) was the daughter of Charles Gavan (Chubby) Power, politician and Canadian senator, and of Rosemary Pendleton.
Power did her primary and secondary studies at Loretto Abbey boarding school in Toronto. In 1941, she completed a Bachelor of Arts degree at McGill University.
Rosemary Cannon worked primarily in television and theatre. She hosted many shows on CKMI-TV, first English-speaking station in Quebec City, from the 1950s onward. She was also a director and actress in English-language theatre troupes in Quebec City, namely the Quebec Art Theatre and the Quebec Art Company.
Cannon was the first woman to be elected president of the Literary and Historical Society of Quebec, the oldest historical society in Canada. She was president between 1977 and 1980 and between 1985 and 1989.
She died in Quebec City on July 19th 2004.
She married Lewis Dumoulin Cannon, lawyer, in Saint-Pacôme in 1941, son of Lucien Cannon, politician, and of Marie Emma Pacaud; She later married William Delaney, medical doctor. She is the mother of Lawrence Cannon, politician.
– Patrick Donovan, June 2015
- BLAIR, Louisa. The Anglos : The Hidden Face of Quebec City, Volume II. Québec : Éditions Sylvain Harvey, 83, 94.
- « Décès : Rosemary (Posy) Power ». Le Soleil, 22 juillet 2004. p.C7
- FOREST, Janet. « Rosemary Power was a pioneer and a role model ». Quebec Chronicle Telegraph, 28 juillet 2004.
- « Lawrence Cannon ». Assemblée nationale [En ligne]. http://www.assnat.qc.ca/fr/deputes/cannon-lawrence-2367/biographie.html
- « Lucien Cannon ». Assemblée nationale [En ligne]. http://www.assnat.qc.ca/fr/deputes/cannon-lucien-2371/biographie.html
- McGill University. Old McGill : Volume 44, 1941. Montréal : The Undergraduates of McGill University, 1941.
- Quebec Art Company [En ligne]. http://www.quebecartcompany.com/
- « Quebec Social Notes ». The Gazette, Montreal, 2 septembre 1941. p.13.
- Registre de la paroisse Saint-Patrick, Québec. Baptême : 28 juin 1919. Collection Drouin.
- « Rosemary Power Marries Lieutenant L.D. Cannon ». Ottawa Citizen, 4 septembre 1941. p.13.